As many of you already know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. A time to wear pink and support the fight against cancer. The city of Chicago lights up in pink and the NFL sports pink on the field. But there is so much more to this month and supporting Breast Cancer than just wearing pink. There are many ways that you can get out and help make a difference. Support a friend, join a walk, donate to help find the cure, get regular check ups and educate yourself and those you love. This is a fight that can be won and a disease that will hopefully have a cure in the future.
Here are some things that are going on around Chicago (and the US) to help support Breast Cancer Awareness Month or purchase pink products:
- Get involved with the Y-Me Organization
- Do the Susan G Komen 3 Day Walk
- The Avon Walk for the Cure
- Donate $100 to give a Mammogram to someome who can’t afford one
- Choose products wisely… many companies and brands have campaigs to help donate money to find a cure. Yoplait, for example, donates $.10 for every pink lid that you send in.
- Find businesses that are “pink” around your city. Many businesses have “pink days” or a “pink October” where they donate a certain percentage of their sales to help find the cure.
- NFL pink gear
- Yoplait yogurt with the pink lid
Many others are blogging about Breast Cancer awareness month as well. One blog that I found particuarly interesting and thoughful was this one by Pushing Thirty. If you have a moment, I highly recommend checking it out.
Happy October! Proudly wear pink this month.